2012 EVH Wolfgang Custom Standard PROTOTYPE !! ★ Vintage Cherry Burst Hardtail
- Edward Van Halen wished to offer a high-end overseas version of the Wolfgang USA Custom Hard Tail that was built with all of the same components as his ideally designed Les Paul style guitar.
- I believe that this project was likely in the works and intended for production in Japan, but EVH had to move all overseas operations to China immediately after flooding of the manufacturing plant due to the catastrophic tsunami in 2011.
- EVH manufactured in China from 2012-2014, before moving to Mexico.
- There were between 6-8 prototype guitars made in each of the 3 colors: Vintage White, Black, and Vintage Cherry Burst. (I have long believed that 8 were equally produced in each color, but I have also just recently spoken with another support representative that said that he could only see about 20 in total that were believed to be prototypes in his system.)
- Eddie supposedly played them all before approving the project, but for some reason the model never went into mass production.
- These prototypes (Made In China) were available to Fender employees, but EVH did also produce an exclusive short run of only an estimated 2-3 dozen Wolfgang Custom Standard guitars for The Music Zoo shortly after.
- I live very close to the Fender location in Scottsdale, AZ where Eddie would regularly come to test the prototypes as part of the QC process and have verified that with multiple employees over the years.
★ Wolfgang Custom Standard Prototypes Were QC Tested and Approved By Edward Van Halen, but the model never went into mass production.
★ This Guitar is #12 of 24 Wolfgang Custom Standard PROTOTYPES Made In China [Serial # WGC120012C]
★ Only 1 of 8 in Vintage Cherry Burst
Thanks For Looking,
BYE SEE YA LATER !!
- Body Material: Mahogany with 1/2″ Arched Maple Top
- Body Binding: 1-Ply (rather than 7-Ply like the USA Custom)
- Fingerboard: Rosewood (rather than Ebony like the USA Custom)
- Position Inlays: Trap Style
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″ to 16″ Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Frets: 22, Vintage Stainless Steel
- Headstock Binding: 1-Ply (rather than 7-Ply like the USA Custom)
- Neck: Bound Mahogany Set-Neck (24.75″ Scale Length)
- Neck Finish: Painted to Match
- Scale Length: 24.75″ (62.9 cm)
- Nut Width: 1.6875″ (43 mm)
- Pickup Configuration: H/H
- Pickups: EVH Wolfgang Custom USA Pickups (Uncovered rather than Chrome Covered like the USA Custom)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Controls: 2 VOLUME: EVH Bourns Custom Low Friction 500K Pot, 2 TONE: EVH Bourns High Friction 250K Pot
- Bridge: TonePros Stop-Tail Bridge with Fine Tuners
- Hardware: Chrome
- Tuning Keys: EVH Custom Tuners
- Strings: EVH Branded Strings, (.009-.046 Gauges)
Case & Candy
- Original EVH Wolfgang Hardshell Case with Key (By SKB)
- Original EVH Wolfgang Owners Manual and Warranty Paperwork
- Original Guitar Cord Accessory Bag